- Americans throw away 25,000,000 plastic bottles every hour. Don’t be part of this craziness! Get yourself a nice reusable bottle and fill it up with your favorite beverage. Added bonus: if you get a cool looking one, you will instantly feel extra stylish each time you take a drink.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to listen to a full album on your iPod. Recycling 100 cans could light your bedroom for two whole weeks. Doesn’t that kind of make you want to go through your neighbor’s PBR stash and put those cans to good use? No? Maybe that’s just me.
- It takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of beef. Even one less meat-based meal a week helps the planet and your diet. You will also save some trees while you’re at it! For each hamburger that originated from animals raised on rainforest land, approximately 55 square feet of forest have been destroyed.
- Over 1.5 billion “disposable” lighters end up in landfills each year. Most lighters are made out of plastic and filled with butane fuel, both petroleum products. Use matches instead! When choosing matches, pick cardboard over wood. Wood matches come from trees, whereas most cardboard matches are made from recycled paper.
- Americans burn on average over 400 gallons of gas every year just getting back and forth to work. See if you can work out an arrangement with your employer that you work from home for some portion of the week. Not only will you save money and gasoline, and you get to work in your pajamas!
We hope you had an amazing Earth Day, and if you have any tips you’d like to share, leave them on our Facebook page: Project Nuevo Mundo